Remembering 2012

Shouldn't this post have been made at the very latest some time in early January? Perhaps. But I like to mull things over. How was 2012 for you? For me, it was the year we didn't have an apocalypse. The Mayans were wrong! Or, rather, the Mayan Calendar just started anew, nothing to write home about. The year itself was quite interesting, though. Had BFF come over, saw the Harry Potter film set, went to an IRL gathering, got coupla moar kittehs, worked ... and drove in foreign countries. :)

January
Started out in Yorkshire, where we spend New Year's with friends. Went to Sweden. There was snow. That was nice.

February
Uhm. We probably had a nice meal on Valentine's Day?

March
Got a contract in Leicester, and took the train there for maybe a couple of weeks. Should've brought a camera, because the city center where I was walking past has some interesting architecture. On the other hand, I was either busy walking uphill to get to where I was working on time or legging it downhill to catch the train to Nottingham.

April
See March. I think we may have had a few days worth of sunshine here, or was that in May?

May
From Leicester, the same project took me to Staffordshire for a bit. Had to dress up for work again. We went to a wedding reception at a hall outside Southwell. Very pretty. Our roleplaying group also had a meltdown, which wasn't pretty. But we're better now.

June
Mostly raining. WASTED MY TIME by going to see a GP about my thyroid. Wasn't taken seriously because I'm not constantly constipated (!) and my previous TSH test was "normal" (3.3 isn't normal, even if the UK General Medical Council haven't caught up with the rest of the world yet). So frustrated I cried while typing the result of the meeting on the UK Thyroid Patient Advocacy forums. The GP actually said caucasians normally can't be vitamin D deficient. It scares me that I know more about that than she does.

July
Had my BFF come over from Sweden for a couple of weeks. Became 30. Went to the Harry Potter Studio Tour in Leavesden outside London, which was EPIC. There was even a bit of sunshine this month, because BFF and I had a long stroll around Wollaton Park. Ended up making chocolate frogs to bring to an IRL gathering.

August
Went to said IRL gathering, in Kalmar. This was the first SHiRL I've been to since 2006, when I went to the very first one. Maybe I'm just getting too old for these kind of shenanigans. At the same time, I loved meeting old friends. Stayed a couple of days with my oldest sister before going to the SHiRL, and my parents had stopped by on their holiday, so that was nice. When I got home, we saw Frankie Boyle live and decided we'd drive around Europe. Discovered my SAD was kicking in already, because I was so, so tired all the time.

September
Started taking vitamin D, after mum's suggestion. Wasn't quite so tired any more. Bought a DSLR camera after much to-ing and fro-ing. Read about adrenal fatigue. Cried my eyes out before leaving Daisy at the cattery. Drove to Dover and took the ferry to France. Went to Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and Austria. Tried lots of nice pastries and saw many castles.

October
Went to Oktoberfest in Munich, which wasn't really our kind of thing. Met the lovely CDoart. Saw Salzburg, where we tried Sacher Torte from the actual Hotel Sacher, and saw even more of Germany and had even more of their food. Found the place where the picture on my mum's old jigsaw puzzle was taken. Went to the Netherlands, Belgium, France (HOW CAN THEY NOT SPEAK ENGLISH WHEN THEY'RE NEXT TO THE BLOODY DOVER FERRY?!) and then across the channel. Slept over in Bexhill. Didn't go to the Battle of Hastings re-enactment because of the heavy rain. Car battery flat. Reunited with Daisy. Started taking vitamins, minerals and herbal supplements. Finally feeling like a human being again.

November
Found out Ocado have a Swedish Shop. EPIC. Very pleased. Daisy got conjunctivitis and wasn't happy to have medicinal cream squirted into her eye twice daily for about a week. Went back later for vaccinations, and vet declared her to be in excellent health, especially considering her age. Delighted. Less delighted about driving on the wrong side of the road, twice, leaving the vet's ...

December
Met up with friends. Found out another friend was moving away from Nottingham. Said friend needed to rehome his two cats, and we agreed to take them. (MOAR KITTEHS!!) Daisy certainly wasn't impressed. Saw The Hobbit, feeling oddly proud of Richard Armitage as Thorin. Fretting over how cats would be getting along without us when we spent Christmas in Sweden. Finally had someone other than myself diagnose me with adrenal fatigue and a thyroid problem, and set me on a course on how to fix that. HAH! Played games with a friend over New Year's.

And Mr T was there, every step of the way. 2012 would've truly sucked without him. Happy Valentine's Day, my love! ♥ Let's see what 2013 brings. :)

Comments