Friday, September 26, 2014

RIP beloved fluffball

(2003-06-23 [not her birthday, but the day she became mine] to 2014-09-26)


After a sudden blood clot to her legs on Tuesday, and other underlying health issues of which we were not previously aware, the vets were unable to save her, and we've had to bid her farewell today.

You will be in our hearts, and still be part of our clothing and assorted furniture for some time, and we'll miss you. Thank you for the past eleven years, and may you rest in peace.

Update on Daisy #2

When we went to see Daisy yesterday, she seemed okay, and she had a pulse in her left leg finally. We agreed with the vet to give her until Saturday to see if there would be a pulse in the right one, as we were told she wouldn't survive an amputation.

On the scan, they found a slight heart defect, and on x-rays, she had a couple of big masses in her lungs, so she wouldn't have lived through surgery, and it wouldn't be fair on her either, being rather old. They couldn't confirm lung cancer without a biopsy, but she wouldn't have long to live even if she pulled through the embolism.

We thought maybe if she survived this, we could take her home and let her spend however much time she had left at home (they said she wouldn't be in pain from the lungs). But that was if she got a pulse in her right leg, because the leg needed to be alive.

This morning, the vet phoned to say that she'd had a bad night. They'd tried to reduce the diuretics (that kept fluid from her lungs), but they had to increase it again and put her on oxygen, and a while there it was touch and go, to the point where they were on the verge of calling us, but with the oxygen, she picked up a little.

There was still no pulse in her right leg this morning, so we went in to say goodbye, as she might not live through another night. She seemed to take it in her stride. She looked very comfortable on the bed she was in, and I had the bed on my lap in the end. She passed away peacefully while we both stroked her gently. It seemed she took the decision for us in the end, and she seemed at peace. Now her struggle is over and she finally gets to rest.

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Update on Daisy #1

Daisy has been diagnosed with a feline aortic thromboembolism (or something like that). Her potassium was a tad high but still within range, so they're keeping an eye on it. White blood cell count was a bit high, indicating an infection or inflammation, so she's on antibiotics for that. As well as being on a drip for fluids, she's on Methadone (!) for pain management, which has made her more comfortable, if completely stoned ... We went to see her today, and while she was woozy, she seemed to like us touching her.

They're still trying to figure out the cause - likely either an undiagnosed heart condition or a tumour somewhere - but nothing conclusive yet. Her left leg is slightly warmer today and has some feeling in it. She's tried to move around a little as well, which is good.

When I phoned this evening there wasn't really anything new to tell, but they've said to take it day by day and they're trying to keep her comfortable while trying to find the cause. If they find they can no longer keep her comfortable, then they won't go any further.

I brought in a little pillow for her, one mum made especially for her, so she'd have something smelling of home, and they said it was great because they wanted to keep a part of her slightly elevated. We're going to check back tomorrow and hope there are some news.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

What turned out to be the last photo of Daisy

2014-09-05 00.01.34
Taken 5 September 2014

This may well end up being the last photo I ever took of Daisy. (EDIT: It was.)

I didn't see her this morning, but sometimes their whereabouts aren't obvioius, so not unusual as such. Heard a noise that normally indicates Monkey has found a bug/butterfly/mouse to play with, so went to check. No, it was Daisy trying to move because her back legs were paralysed. Phoned the vet in hysterics.

Blood clot.

The prognosis isn't good. They've taken her in to try and treat it, and if she doesn't improve in the next 24 hours or so, she'll need to be put to sleep because there's nothing more they can do. If she improves, they can do tests and find out the underlying cause, but she'll need to be on medication for the rest of her life and is likely to have another blood clot again within the next six months.

She seemed fine yesterday, and by this time tomorrow, she might have left a Daisy-sized hole in our hearts and lives.